Friday, August 2, 2013

God Is Good

" Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace himself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with all of you. " 2 Thessalonians 3:16

" And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. " Phillipians 4:13

Thank you so much to everyone for your constant prayers this past 24 hours. I am still amazed what has transpired. The up and downs of emotions has been definitely a roller coaster.

We had a Waco crew arrive last night with clothes, phone chargers and some goodies to get us through on this unexpected hospital stay. It was very hard to not communicate to family with both phones completly dead. David had his MRI last night and we had our good friend Greg Bathurst here ( Waco Radiologist) who went back to the MRI with David and read it with the other doctors. PRAISE GOD, from the MRI there showed no brain bleeds or stroke happening. The MRI did not look that much different than his last MRI this past saturday. But, what you could tell from the MRI is that the tumor and it's swelling is pushing the middle of David's brain which caused what we saw yesterday. Just a cm of a difference and it created the spiral of chaosis yesterday.

I left this a.m. the hospital room at 7:30 a.m. to go to David's parents who live just 5 min from the hospital. David was sleeping and I knew this would be my window of opportunity to go home and shower and change. We had friends here just in case the doctors came in. When returning to David, of course this is what I came to ( picture below). My David. Sitting up in a chair. Dressed. Talking with his parents. Asking everyone to come in the room and all smiles.
He was communicating normal, talking about how his parents have lived in their house for 43 years. Getting his numbers right and even getting the date right, August 2nd 2013. Which Happy birthday to his brother charles! Thank goodness for now we can leave 10/21/70. IT IS TRULY A MIRACLE. Your prayers were answered and I am so grateful. We took a video of him talking to the kids telling him that he loved them. We then spent time with the nurse practitioner Dr. Soo. I had missed the doctors that morning :( So she came in to communicate to me the next plan of action. David is on very high doses of steroids to get the swelling down. AND HIS BODY IS RESPONDING! So is his personality to the steroids :) Which means we do not have to consider surgery right now. Which is just so risky. David will stay in the hospital, moving from the ICU to the regular rooms today or tomorrow. He will continue the steroids in hopes of it bringing the swelling down some more. We will then start treatment on Monday. Treatment! What we so desperately need! We will begin an IV of Avastan on monday here in Houston.  this way to monitor him. If all goes well we can maybe go home the middle of next week. He will continuethe avastan hopefully every 2 weeks. David OF COURSE threw a fuse. He was thinking he could go home today:) The nurse reminded him that he dodged A MAJOR bullet yesterday. And told him the Doctors were calling her this a.m. that saw him yesterday to check on him because he had them all worried. She then looked at the MRI with me to show me that you could really see no changes from Monday MRI. When we looked at it, I reminded her that David has been shielded for two years from any signs of Brain Cancer and yesterday was just so scary. She said it is very disappointing in her job to see someone so healthy have this. She said be assured, his body is strong and they are seeing that and he can handle things that most do not. She said she does not know my beliefs but she definitely believes there was someone watching over David yesterday. I told her GOD. Only explanation as to how something happened like this and we just so happened to be in the RIGHT place.

As I sat with friends today we talked about how I broke down yesterday and I felt how can I handle this? i 
told them I believe with all my heart God knew this would happen and he knew where I needed David to be. Thank goodness David was not driving one of our kids or home with one of our kids when this happened. Praise God for that. I told my friends that through the two years each day I feel more strength and peace from God, but I don't know what this situation yesterday was to teach me or how was it to make me stronger. They reminded me. This happening at MD Anderson David was in the care of the doctors. Seeing it happen I now know what to watch for and can have a plan in place when we go home next week. How horrible if all of this happened when we weren't under the care of the specialist.

Our kids are happy with Aunt Mimi and my mom will fly in to take care of them through the week. Please continue praying. This is not done yet, allow God to use us and for the strength we so desperately need.

I am so grateful for all of you and your willingness to step up and encourage us. Thank you. Thank you so much. I hope each of you know and feel our overwhelming amount of gratitude for God placing you in our lives.

I will come home tomorrow for the day and night if David continues to do as well as he is. This will give me a chance to see the kids, love on them and say hi and bye to my family that has arrived:) There are so many wonderful people that are surrounding David that we think this would be a good time for me to sneak away.
Please continue to pray.....

With love,
The Hurst